Finally I’ve managed to finish a painting after a couple of months break. Not something I particularly wanted to take. It’s not that I haven’t been painting at all, it’s just I’ve been finding it hard to find the time what with starting my final year at University. Instead of having the luxury of being able to paint for a couple of hours every day, like I could in the summer, I’ve been lucky if I can manage 2 or 3 hours a week during term time.
I started this piece only a few weeks after I finished the Marc Marquez painting, which goes to show how annoyingly long it has taken me to finish it. Several people had asked me if I planned to work on a Rossi piece, which initially I hadn’t. My MotoGP knowledge is limited to say the least, but I had a lot of fun painting Marquez and the sponsorship detailing on the bikes is something I want to challenge myself to get better at. This has also stressed to me that I need to invest in better quality brushes. I completed much of this painting using the same paintbrush; which at the time of buying I felt to be over-priced, but couldn’t deny the quality of results was far better after I started using it.
I’m also trying to use linseed oil more when I’m painting. Predominantley, I tend to use white spirit as an easy way to thin the paint, but I’m eager to see how the results vary using the oil. This will hopefully be evident with the next painting I’m working on, a timeless Jaguar.
Here’s a look at the final Valentino Rossi piece. It’s roughly A3 size, on Canvas paper which I’ve been using quite a lot recently. Hopefully it won’t be too long until I can finish another painting and upload that too.